Tuesday, April 8, 2014

The Authority of the Great Shepherd

I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me, just as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I lay down my life for the sheep. And I have other sheep that are not of this fold. I must bring them also, and they will listen to my voice. So there will be one flock, one shepherd. For this reason the Father loves me, because I lay down my life that I may take it up again. No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down, and I have authority to take it up again. This charge I have received from my Father.”
There was again a division among the Jews because of these words. Many of them said, “He has a demon, and is insane; why listen to him?” Others said, “These are not the words of one who is oppressed by a demon. Can a demon open the eyes of the blind?”  (John 10: 14-21).
Jesus cared for His disciples in such a way that He gave His all. To describe His love for them, He said they were His sheep and He was their Good Shepherd. He wanted them to know that as their Good shepherd He was willing to die for them. The sheep received the blessings of the Good Shepherd through faith in Him. That is the depth of the relationship Jesus wanted between Himself and His sheep. Jesus made it clear that His death was not something He was forced to do… “No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord”. His sacrifice of love would be no sacrifice at all if it was forced in any way. It was not something that the authorities, Jewish or Roman forced upon Him. It was not something Satan did to Him. Surrendering His life was something that Jesus did entirely on His own initiative because only the Son of God had the authority to do it… “I have authority to lay it down, and I have authority to take it up again”. It was love that moved Christ to lay down His life for the sheep, but it was the power and authority granted by His Father that enabled Jesus to give His life. It was the very same authority of God that empowered Christ to rise from the dead. In these ultimate acts of caring for His disciples as His sheep we see the authority of the Great Shepherd.
Jesus taught that everything He said and did during His brief time on earth was to reveal the Father’s authority and confirm the Son’s divinity… “So Jesus said to them, ‘When you have lifted up the Son of Man, then you will know that I am he, and that I do nothing on my own authority, but speak just as the Father taught me’” (John 8:28). He revealed His authority in order to compel followers to become disciples through faith in Him as the Christ… “Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own authority, but the Father who dwells in me does his works. Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in me, or else believe on account of the works themselves” (John 14:10-11). Based upon His authority, Christ commissioned His disciples to share His gospel with the whole world… “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations” (Matthew 28:18-19). And Jesus shared His authority with His disciples to empower them and ensure their success in fulfilling this great commission…  “And he called the twelve together and gave them power and authority over all demons and to cure diseases, and he sent them out to proclaim the kingdom of God and to heal” (Luke 9:1-2).
The Holy Spirit, prompts us today to consider whether we are Christ’s followers or disciples. Followers are aware of and amazed by the authority of Christ… “And they were all amazed and said to one another, ‘What is this word? For with authority and power he commands the unclean spirits, and they come out!’” (Luke 4:36). But disciples trust and execute Christ’s authority every day as they share His gospel with the world… “The seventy-two returned with joy, saying, ‘Lord, even the demons are subject to us in your name!’” (Luke 10:17). When His authority is released through His disciples, the kingdom of God advances and Christ is glorified… “Now may the God of peace who brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, the great shepherd of the sheep, by the blood of the eternal covenant, equip you with everything good that you may do his will, working in us that which is pleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory forever and ever. Amen” (Hebrews 13:20-21).
As we grow up into Christ we will experience victory as we pursue His will and learn to trust…

The Authority of the Great Shepherd.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Matter of the Heart

    " But Daniel set in his heart that he would not defile himself with the king’s choice food or with the wine which he drank; so he s...