Monday, May 26, 2014

Confident, Maturing Discipleship

I am not speaking of all of you; I know whom I have chosen. But the Scripture will be fulfilled, ‘He who ate my bread has lifted his heel against me.’ I am telling you this now, before it takes place, that when it does take place you may believe that I am he. Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever receives the one I send receives me, and whoever receives me receives the one who sent me.”
After saying these things, Jesus was troubled in his spirit, and testified, “Truly, truly, I say to you, one of you will betray me.” The disciples looked at one another, uncertain of whom he spoke (John 13: 18-22).
Once again Jesus revealed His troubled spirit. He was reflecting on this group of followers gathered around His table. He knew that not all of them were true disciples. Some were there for the wrong reasons. Some heard but did not listen to His words. Some saw but secretly doubted His miracles. Some were not there because He chose them, but they were there for their own selfish reasons. He made a clear distinction among those at His table. Some had received Him and some had not. And among those who had not received Him there was one that would soon betray Him. Though His spirit was troubled, Jesus made it clear that God was still in control of this moment… “The Scripture will be fulfilled”. Though His spirit was troubled, Jesus made it clear that He knew the hearts of His disciples better than they did… “The disciples looked at one another, uncertain of whom he spoke”. Through His troubled spirit, Jesus revealed three steps toward confident, maturing discipleship.
The Teacher strikes deep in the heart today. He challenges those of us who call ourselves disciples of Christ to look deep into our hearts with a penetrating question. How do I know I am a true disciple of Christ? How do I know I am not just a follower of Christ? How do I know I am not just like the disciples at the His table who were so unsure of their relationship with Him they wondered secretly if they might be the betrayer? If confronted or threatened, might I deny or betray my Savior? Both the Bible and history are filled with stories of those who were faced with such life and death confrontations. When we reflect on our own lives we can identify moments that were not as dramatic, but still were opportunities to confess or deny the Lord. At times we have been faithful to honor Him. But at other times we have let Him down. Today’s text shows that less than wholehearted discipleship makes us vulnerable to be used by the enemies of Christ to bring reproach upon His name.
As He exposed His heart at the table with His disciples, Jesus also revealed three truths that will help us become and remain confident, maturing disciples. First, He said, “I am not speaking of all of you”. The truth is that not everyone that followed Jesus truly listened when He spoke. The first step toward confident, maturing discipleship is nurturing a hunger for time in Christ’s presence… “Jesus said to them, ‘I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst’” (John 6:35) and listening closely for Him to speak through His word… “This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased; listen to him” (Matthew 17:5). Next, Jesus said, “I know whom I have chosen”. The second step toward confident, maturing discipleship is believing that He has chosen you, not that you have chosen Him... “You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit and that your fruit should abide” (John 15:16). As we die to self and live for Him we grow closer to Him and are less willing to betray Him. Finally, Jesus said, “Whoever receives me receives the one who sent me”. The third step toward confident, maturing discipleship is embracing Christ and His truth. The Greek word translated “receive” here is lambanō, and it means to catch, grasp, or take hold of. Followers hear His words but disciples grasp and trust His truth… “For I have given them the words that you gave me, and they have received them and have come to know in truth that I came from you” (John 17:8). As we embrace and apply His truth we are less likely to renounce our Lord.
As we grow up into Christ listening to His word, living for Him, and embracing His truth, we become…

Confident, Maturing Discipleship.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Matter of the Heart

    " But Daniel set in his heart that he would not defile himself with the king’s choice food or with the wine which he drank; so he s...