Friday, August 1, 2014

The Prayer that Unifies Us

“I do not ask for these only, but also for those who will believe in me through their word, that they may all be one, just as you, Father, are in me, and I in you, that they also may be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me. The glory that you have given me I have given to them, that they may be one even as we are one, I in them and you in me, that they may become perfectly one, so that the world may know that you sent me and loved them even as you loved me. Father, I desire that they also, whom you have given me, may be with me where I am, to see my glory that you have given me because you loved me before the foundation of the world. O righteous Father, even though the world does not know you, I know you, and these know that you have sent me. I made known to them your name, and I will continue to make it known, that the love with which you have loved me may be in them, and I in them” (John 17: 20-26).
Jesus prayed. How profound is this moment when the incarnate Son of God paused to speak to His Father on behalf of His disciples. It is profound when we consider that the Father and Son are one… “I and the Father are one” (John 10:30). It is profound when we acknowledge that He prayed for all disciples, present and future… “I do not ask for these only, but also for those who will believe in me through their word”. It is profound when we recognize that the Holy Spirit inspired John to record the prayer for us… “But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you” (John 14:26). Jesus prayed that all believers would be one, as the Father and Son are one. On His way to the cross Jesus paused and further prepared His disciples for life and ministry in this hostile world with the prayer that unifies us.
Jesus prayed that oneness with His Father would make us one. He asked for a unique kind of unity here, that we… “May all be one, just as you, Father, are in me, and I in you, that they also may be in us”. He prayed for the kind of unity that is born of much time in the presence of God where we experience the oneness of the Father and Son. Then we are to build and nurture close relationships with other believers that mirror this unique unity and reflect it to the world… “That which we have seen and heard we proclaim also to you, so that you too may have fellowship with us; and indeed our fellowship is with the Father and with his Son Jesus Christ” (1 John 1:3).
Jesus prayed that God’s glory would make us one. He prayed that we would be so intimate with Him that we will see His glory even in this corrupt and temporal world. He acknowledged in this prayer that He has given the glory of God to us. If seeing and reflecting God’s glory in all we say and do is our top priority, we have a unique, common purpose that unifies us and identifies us as Christ’s disciples to each other and to the world… “Until we all attain to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to mature manhood, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ” (Ephesians 4:13).
Jesus prayed that deep love for Him would make us one. He prayed that we might know the depth of the Father’s love for the Son… “The Father loves the Son and has given all things into his hand” (John 3:35). He prayed that we would have the same love for the Son… “That the love with which you have loved me may be in them”. He revealed in this prayer the power of love for Jesus that can overcome the conflicts and differences that arise between imperfect disciples and threaten the unity of the church. He wants His disciples to know that love for Christ must be our priority because it is indispensable to loving others like He does. He revealed this basic truth in His discourse with Peter as He restored Him to ministry and leadership in the church… “’Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?’ He said to him, ‘Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.’ He said to him, ‘Feed my lambs’” (John 21:15). This kind of love binds us together and identifies us as Christ’s disciples… “By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another” (John 13:35).
As He prayed, Jesus revealed His heart’s desire for a God-reflecting unity among His disciples. He also taught that unity among disciples depends on intimacy with God, seeking His glory, and sharing His love.
As we grow up into Christ, abiding in His presence, glory, and love, we become one in answer to…

The Prayer that Unifies Us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Matter of the Heart

    " But Daniel set in his heart that he would not defile himself with the king’s choice food or with the wine which he drank; so he s...