Friday, October 31, 2014

The Love that Leads Us

When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” He said to him, “Feed my lambs.” He said to him a second time, “Simon, son of John, do you love me?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” He said to him, “Tend my sheep.” He said to him the third time, “Simon, son of John, do you love me?” Peter was grieved because he said to him the third time, “Do you love me?” and he said to him, “Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Feed my sheep. Truly, truly, I say to you, when you were young, you used to dress yourself and walk wherever you wanted, but when you are old, you will stretch out your hands, and another will dress you and carry you where you do not want to go.” (This he said to show by what kind of death he was to glorify God.) And after saying this he said to him, “Follow me” (John 21:15-19).
Peter is one of the most relatable disciples. He was introduced to Jesus by His brother Andrew… “He brought him to Jesus. Jesus looked at him and said, ‘You are Simon the son of John. You shall be called Cephas’ (which means Peter)” (John 1:42). He was skeptical and slow to follow Jesus at first, yielding to the Master’s call at a second encounter… “While walking by the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers, Simon (who is called Peter) and Andrew his brother, casting a net into the sea, for they were fishermen. And he said to them, ‘Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.’ Immediately they left their nets and followed him” (Matthew 4:18-20). The rest of His time with Jesus was filled with challenges from the Master to follow Him more closely, to trust and depend on His word… “So Jesus said to the Twelve, ‘Do you want to go away as well?’  Simon Peter answered him, ‘Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life’” (John 6:67-68); to walk with Him in holiness… “He came to Simon Peter, who said to him, ‘Lord, do you wash my feet?’” (John 13:6); to trust His sovereignty over the storms and trials of this natural life… “And Peter answered him, ‘Lord, if it is you, command me to come to you on the water.’  He said, ‘Come.’ So Peter got out of the boat and walked on the water and came to Jesus” (Matthew 14:28-29); to trust Him to defeat his enemies… “So Jesus said to Peter, ‘Put your sword into its sheath; shall I not drink the cup that the Father has given me?’” (John 18:11). Now, when He is about to return to His Father, Jesus called Peter a little closer. His forgiveness is evidenced as there is no mention of Peter’s denial. Instead there is a thrice repeated probing question… “Do you love me?” In His intimate confrontation and compelling invitation with Peter, Jesus revealed that maturing disciples will be increasingly motivated by the love that leads us.
Peter’s relationship with Jesus is a great illustration of the Master’s relentless invitation to all Christ followers to come closer and become His disciples. Like Peter, we all have followed Christ at a distance. But if we are maturing disciples that are growing closer to Christ, then our hunger for His word, awareness of His sovereignty, and trust in His protection are increasing as we draw closer to Him. Today, our Teacher, the Holy Spirit reveals that above all else, increasing love for Christ testifies that we are growing disciples and motivates us to imitate and reflect His glory to our world.
Love for Christ leads us to Him, as love led Peter back to Jesus… “If anyone loves me, he will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him” (John 14:23). Love for Christ leads us to serve others, as love for Christ would compel Peter to feed and care for Christ’s sheep… “For the love of Christ controls us, because we have concluded this: that one has died for all, therefore all have died; and he died for all, that those who live might no longer live for themselves but for him who for their sake died and was raised” (2 Corinthians 5:14-15). Love for Christ leads us to live and die for His glory, as love for Christ would lead Peter to his own crucifixion… “Whoever loves his life loses it, and whoever hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life. If anyone serves me, he must follow me; and where I am, there will my servant be also” (John 12:25-26).
As we grow up into Christ our prideful, selfish, and worldly motivations are increasingly replaced by…

The Love that Leads Us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Matter of the Heart

    " But Daniel set in his heart that he would not defile himself with the king’s choice food or with the wine which he drank; so he s...