Friday, August 21, 2015

The Response that Christ Requires

When the herdsmen saw what had happened, they fled and told it in the city and in the country. Then people went out to see what had happened, and they came to Jesus and found the man from whom the demons had gone, sitting at the feet of Jesus, clothed and in his right mind, and they were afraid. And those who had seen it told them how the demon-possessed man had been healed. Then all the people of the surrounding country of the Gerasenes asked him to depart from them, for they were seized with great fear. So he got into the boat and returned. The man from whom the demons had gone begged that he might be with him, but Jesus sent him away, saying, “Return to your home, and declare how much God has done for you.” And he went away, proclaiming throughout the whole city how much Jesus had done for him (Luke 8:34-39).
Jesus showed up and produced a miracle. A demon possessed man was delivered. When news of the miracle spread, people came to confirm it. They found the delivered man “sitting at the feet of Jesus, clothed and in his right mind’. This was irrefutable evidence of the miracle working power of Jesus Christ. Even before they heard the testimony of those who witnessed the miracle, the people were afraid. After hearing from the witnesses, they begged Jesus to leave the area. Surely they were not afraid of the formerly deranged man who was now so docile. Were they afraid Jesus might confront their sinful hearts next? Were they afraid he might destroy more of their pigs, the primary source of their income? It’s difficult to know what provoked the fear in their hearts, but it’s clear here to earnest truth seekers that when Jesus shows up and shakes up our world there are three primary responses. Today our Teacher, the Holy Spirit, leads us to a revelation of the response that Christ requires.
When Jesus shows up we can run from Him. Just as Jesus showed up for the demoniac, He showed up for me when I was eight years old. I had seen a very scary movie when I was five and it left me with nightmares that drove my parents crazy and drove me to ask God to replace my fear with His peace. One night Jesus showed up in a dream and spoke the words “We’ll choose this one”. While the nightmares stopped, I spent the next 21 years running from what I suspected might be a call to full-time ministry. I knew that fully trusting Jesus was going to shake up my comfortable life. How about you? Is there a place in your life where Jesus is moving but fear prompts you to wish He might just go away? Is He shaking your life and calling you to a new place? Trust me… trust Him. Don’t run from Him. There’s no better place to be than in the center of His will… “For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope” (Jeremiah 29:11).
When Jesus shows up we can run to Him. The freshly delivered victim in today’s text climbed into the boat to be closer to the man that had delivered him. He wanted to be near the compassion and power that set him free. He wanted to know Jesus more intimately. He wanted the presence of Jesus to surround him for the rest of his life. Looking back, I can now see that Jesus did not quit pursuing me after that powerful encounter at eight years of age. He was always there as I grew older. My waning interest in Him did not deter His interest in me. He conspired and moved relentlessly until the desperate moment when I needed another miracle. He showed up and delivered, but this time I ran to Him and accepted His invitation to a living relationship with Him. Where is Jesus calling you to increased intimacy with Him? There is no better place to be than in His presence and close to His heart… “Whom have I in heaven but you? And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you” (Psalm 73:25).
When Jesus shows up we can run for Him. Jesus sent the new disciple back to share the good news with others in his hometown. Here we learn about the response Jesus requires of true disciples. True intimacy with Christ produces a desire to know and imitate His servant heart. I remember that within months of trusting Christ I was serving Him in full-time pastoral ministry. Is your growing fellowship with Jesus prompting you to serve others? There is no better place to be than imitating the heart of Christ in service… “For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve” (Mark 10:45).
As we grow up into Christ we learn to run for Christ and to serve others because this is…

The Response that Christ Requires.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Matter of the Heart

    " But Daniel set in his heart that he would not defile himself with the king’s choice food or with the wine which he drank; so he s...